Folding tables come in a variety of prices, shapes, sizes and storage space requirements, so it's best to consider a few things before you start shopping. Look for a table that meets your initial need first, then once you've purchased one, you'll find many uses for it. Here's what to consider when shopping for a folding table:
- Size: A 4' or 6' table may be sufficient for dinner seating or as an occasional buffet table. But if you regularly have garage sales or have groups over for games, a longer table may be more suitable. Two 4' folding tables may be more practical for you than one 8' table, because they allow more versatility when it comes to arranging them. Consider how you would place the table in your home to ensure you have adequate room before buying a long table. Keep in mind that a narrower table is ideal for a buffet table and a short one is best for playing cards.
- Storage Space: Where will you store it? Some tables are thicker and higher than others when closed, and an 8' table will require more storage height than a 4' table.
- Table or Table with Chairs: Do you just need a table or should you also consider folding chairs which will provide additional seating?
- Tabletop Finish: If you intend to always cover it with linen, the surface material may not be a deciding factor. Tabletop materials vary considerably, but choose a table with a sturdy construction for your particular need. Consider maintenance - how easy it will be to keep the table clean. There are tables with wood or wood composite surfaces, but most folding tables are poly or resin which makes them lighter and easier to care for.
- Outdoor Use: Will you use it outside and can it withstand the elements?
- Folding Mechanism: Ensure it works well and locks securely into place.
- Weight: Do you have restrictions as to what you can manage? Consider how far you'll have to carry it to put it away? The weight of folding tables will vary depending on materials used and size. When weight is a factor, two smaller tables may be more practical instead of a larger heavier model.
- Height: Although you can find folding tables that are counter height, a table that is average table height is more practical if you're looking to extend your dinner table and seating capacity. A table that can adjust from table to counter height can be very versatile for kitchen workspace.
- Dinner or buffet table
- Camping or picnic table
- Garage/yard sale
- Playing cards
- Crafting or sewing projects
- Assembly, sorting and repairing worktable
- Family games or puzzles
- Surface for wrapping and packing for moving
- To organize clothing for storage or as a laundry accessory
- Painting and renovating projects
- Gift wrapping center
- Cover with a blanket to make a kid's indoor play tent
- Setting up seasonal or occasional equipment such as audio, amplifiers etc
- For hosting or special events such as baby and wedding showers or anniversary party tables
Read More About Home Accessories:
Ways to Add & Organize Your Home
How to Hang a Wire Shelf - Video
Microwave Carts & Stands
Before You Buy a Mobile Kitchen Cart
Go to Home Page