The Bottom Line
- Nice sleek design and size
- Easy to use and clean
- Toasting and egg functions can work independently
- Great egg boiling and poaching
- Crumb tray can slide out for cleaning
- Cord is shorter than I'd prefer, but it is short for safety
- Variable toasting function
- Wide-slot toasting (for everything from bread to croissants)
- Easy-to-use and clean touchpad
- Individual toasting and poaching functions - "Toast", "Egg", "Egg/Toast", and "Cancel"
- "Egg/Toast" function directs cooking of both items to complete at the same time
- Auto shut-off for both toaster and poacher functions
- Steamer tray can be used for hard-boiling up to four eggs
- Indicator light illuminates when appliance is "on"
- Meat-warming tray included
- Detachable crumb tray and cord storage
Guide Review - Egg & Muffin™ Toaster - Review of Back to Basics Egg & Muffin Toaster
Pre-cooked meat warms up nicely on the steamer tray. Meat juices that have dripped unto the egg, can easily be poured off. It toasts well and there is plenty of room in the wide slot. Cheese should only be added when your sandwich is assembled, and not during the 'hot steamy' process. A removable slide out crumb tray is a great cleaning feature, and the cord can be stored underside. The unit stores easily - just slightly longer than a regular toaster.
Overall, the Egg & Muffin Toaster is a great appliance, not only practical and convenient, but actually fun to use.
*Update* Still enjoying this toaster, and learned a few tricks:
- You can add a sliced mushroom to the egg - delicious, or a drop of salsa;
- Pierce the egg with the eggshell - no need to use the water cup;
- Drain off the condensation on the egg by flipping it (avoid hitting the pan)out unto the steamer tray;
- If you forget to put the water in, the egg function will not operate - good safety feature.
- Avoid cracking the egg on the small pan, it can cause the non-stick coating to peel, or hitting the pan on the warming tray when flipping the egg.
This toaster still works fine, but the finish on the egg pan has started to peel off on the side. More care is needed to contain this problem. Rating has been downgraded slightly to reflect the durability of the finish.
A reader has experienced a malfunction with his toaster. Although this may be an isolated incident, you can read about this problem and take proper precautions.