- The 6-Pc set includes the base with lid, 4-cup round and 4-cup rectangular containers with lids (reviewed) MSRP $24.99
- The 8-Pc set includes the base with lid, 4-cup round and two 1-1/2-cup rectangular containers with lids. MSRP $24.99
- The 14-Pc set includes both the 6-pc and 8-pc sets. MSRP $37.50
- All sets are available in green, red, blue
- Provides serving, storage and portability
- Fill the base with water to fill line, freeze, add food to containers and serve. Then pop out containers and add lids to store. On short notice, you can use ice cubes and water.
- Refrigerator, microwave, freezer safe
- Top-rack dishwasher safe
- Seal-tight lids
- Physical size of the 6-pc and 8-pc set is approximately 13.75" x 9.75" and 4" deep.
- Visit the manufacturer for more detail
How Chill Out & About Performed
At noon, after the food containers were filled with a creamy pasta and tossed salad and lids were applied, I placed the Chill Out & About on the picnic table all afternoon (for supper serving). It was initially sunny, turning to shade later. Outdoor temperature was around 78 degrees F, changing to 70 by suppertime. At 6 pm we ate the salads that were still cold with considerable ice left.
Another test involved placing the prepared server with cheese slices and a bean salad into a cooler for a 2-hour commute, plus a 3-hour social to buffet serving time, another 2 hours later. Considerable ice remained and the small amount of food left, was still cold at the end of the dinner. Returning home, the cooler with the server stayed in the car overnight and well into the next (hot) day. When emptied, a piece of ice about 1" x 4" remained.
Here's a few tips I learned during testing: To keep a bright sun from affecting the pasta that's on the very top against the lid, place a small towel over the server. This will also keep the container cool longer if serving is delayed. I'd cover it till serving time, when lids are removed. Since condensation forms on the outside, place a small towel underneath it on the serving table. If placing it on wood, I'd put a tray or plastic mat underneath it along with the towel to absorb the moisture. In a cooler, the frozen Chill Out & About serves quite well as an ice pack, keeping the drinks and other items in the cooler cold. On a commute, it keeps cut up fruit (dipped in color keeper) and finger foods cold for hours.
This is an innovative and smart design - a food serving essential, whether you entertain often, merely serve family snacks or occasionally take road trips. It's not only the answer to buffet serving concerns, but it goes beyond the home to the boat, picnic, car, sports social or pot-luck dinner.
Compare prices of food storage
Compare prices of buffet servers
Read about more kitchenware