Follow my easy steps to how to make a unique gift basket for that special someone. Gift baskets are extremely easy to assemble, but the final result looks stunning - a true labor of love (without the 'labor'). Suitable for any occasion, unique gift baskets can often be just the solution when you can't decide on a particular gift item. You can use different shapes of baskets, with or without a handle, and the size depends on what you want to put into it.
Time Required: 15 minutes or less
- Decide what the basket 'theme' will be first, then look for a sufficiently sized basket and purchase all the items for it. There are lots of possibilities when it comes to deciding on a theme and you can also go for a mixed gift basket. Keep in mind that any gift basket is fun to open, so don't stress over the contents.
- Cut 2 yards of cellophane - plain or special occasion printed - and lay it on the table surface, right side down and place the full gift basket in the middle of it.
- Arrange all items inside the basket. You can place a cloth napkin or paper doily in the bottom. Ensure that breakable items are secured or wrapped in cloth or tissue to prevent breakage. Position tall items in the center, with medium-sized items on the outside and small ones in between. Individually-wrapped candy sprinkled throughout the items, adds a nice sweet touch.
- Gather up the cellophane, pulling up the short sides first, then longer ends, and secure with a long twist tie. A helper is great for this step.
- Add the ribbon, making a nice bow with long curved tails. Or attach a ready-made bow. No need to remove the twist tie, unless it shows.
- Attach the gift tag with string or tape it to the front cellophane.
- If one of the short sides of cellophane is gaping, you may be able to adjust it by pulling gently on the top section, or secure with a small piece of clear tape.
- Resist the urge to 'play' with the cellophane to get it just right - the idea is to gather the cellophane which produces an array of varying sizes of cellophane 'petals' - a unique 'bouquet'. If the 'petals' are too long for your liking, you can trim them with scissors.
- Find More Gift Ideas Plus Hosting Tips:
Go to Gifts & Hosting | Go to Shop by Price | Go to Appliance Buying Tips | Holiday Planning
Gifts for Kids | Gadget Gifts | More Gadget Gifts | Gifts by Hobby | Pink Ribbon Gifts
For more gift ideas:
Gifts $20 | Gifts $40 | Gifts $60 | Gifts $80 | Gifts $100 | Gifts $200
Hostess & Thank You Gifts | Gifts for Kids | Gifts for the Party Animal | Gifts for Him | Gifts for Her | Gifts for Outdoor Nut
- Cellophane is sold in rolls of either clear, colored, print or festive. The clear with a small gold pattern is very versatile for any occasion.
- Ready-made bows are great for taking the hassle out of making one, but make sure that the size is right for the basket. A large basket requires a larger bow. Likewise, don't hide a small basket with an oversized bow.
- Other items can be used instead of a basket, such as a casserole dish, pie plate, serving bowl, or gift box bottom. If the basket or container has very low sides, you may require a helper to gather up the cellophane.
- The gift tag can be attached by a string from the gathered bow, or taped to the front of the basket.
- For ideas or themes see my Gift Basket Ideas
What You Need
- Basket - Sufficient for the items
- Cellophane - A roll or at least 1.5 to 2 yards or meters
- 2-3 Yards of wired ribbon or a ready-made bow
- Gift Tag with string to attach
- Twist tie, or rubber band to 'gather' the wrapping
- Items to insert in the basket
- Bag of indidually wrapped candy