1. Home
If you're finding your home drafty, an inspection of the exterior walls may reveal a few areas that need more insulating factor to keep you warm this winter. And while doors and windows may be first on your mind, you'll be surprised at how much cold air can come in through electrical outlet and switch covers. You can save energy and reduce your heating costs by eliminating these drafts with Electrical Outlet and Switch Plate Insulators. And bonus, they're cheap and super easy to install.

Photo © Mifflin

Energy Conservation Tips | Replacing Furnace Filters | Heating Resources

Comments

January 25, 2009 at 11:19 am
(1) Birney Summers says:

Good idea. Here is a link to an article that tell you how to locate problems in your walls.http://energyboomer.typepad.com/energyboomer/2009/01/save-energy-by-feeling-your-walls.html

February 9, 2009 at 8:00 pm
(2) Darren Lombardo says:

Electrical Outlet Switch Cover Sealers/Gaskets really do work. They can reduce your heating and cooling bill by as much as 20%. They are a cheap way to retain heating and cooling in your home. If you place your hand over your outlets in the Winter on a windy day, you will feel air blowing through them. So the purpose is to seal off the outlets & switches from the living space. I found a local energy audit firm to conduct what is called a blower door test on my home. Before the sealers were installed, the outlets whistled; they leaked so bad. The tech conducted a post test after the sealers were installed and they were not only sealed, but I reduced my home’s over-all air infiltration rate. Simply stated, I am now retaining my heating and cooling. What good is a high efficiency or geo-thermal system if your home cannot retain what is generated?

I went to Home Depot and paid a fortune in small Frost King packs to do my entire home. (It cost me over $100). A couple years later I built a new home, which I had more modern switches and receptacles. I found a company that sells the “Decorator” or “Decora” Leviton switch and outlet sealers/gaskets in bulk, costing a fraction compared to those retail Frost King packs that you find at Home Depot or Lowes. I looked all over for these foam gaskets. For those of you don’t know, the Decora are the fat, contemporary rocker style switches found in newer homes. They will also work on bathroom GFI outlets. I ordered them from ReduceMyEnergy.com and installed them in my home. What a BIG difference. My rooms are cozy and more comfortable too. They have already more than paid for themselves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrical Outlet Switch GFI Leviton Decora Sealers Gaskets

February 9, 2009 at 8:04 pm
(3) Darren Lombardo says:

The best place to get foam outlet sealers/ insulators in bulk without breaking the bank is: http://www.reducemyenergy.com/draftproducts.htm

February 20, 2010 at 9:29 pm
(4) Theresa Spade says:

Another reasonably priced supplier of bulk outlet gaskets is: http://www.OutletSealers.com

They shipped them out really fast. I happened to get them next day.

September 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm
(5) John Diskin says:

I got a 200-pack at http://www.outletgaskets.com and I received them the very next day. I had some questions about the gaskets and their customer service was really helpful. Very reasonable……

October 3, 2013 at 8:06 pm
(6) Air Conditioning and Heating Texarkana Texas says:

A technician is often qualified and trained in working
with different types of heating devices to any specification.
Additionally, if your condenser motor fails, there may be other
hidden damage throughout the unit. Any colored wetness on the garage floor or parking slot surface beneath the vehicle is cause for alarm.