1. Home
Is stainless steel flatware all the same? And what does 18/0 really mean? How can you tell the difference in quality when looking at the packaging? Here are some answers to help you choose which flatware is best for you.

Comments

July 18, 2008 at 9:02 pm
(1) bbachand@teleport.com says:

Thank you! I’ve been searching for flatware to replace my 25 year old (and worn) set, and couldn’t figure out how to know when some product would have the same “heft” to it. I ordered some (and returned it) that stated that it was “heavy weight” but was light compared with my old set. Wish I had visited your site first. Thanks again! Bebe in Portland

November 17, 2009 at 11:05 am
(2) Lee Hafner says:

Looking to replace open stock stainless steel flatware for church kitchen–knife, fork, teaspoon and soupspoon or table spoon–good quality, reasonable price

August 1, 2010 at 9:09 am
(3) Satish Singhal says:

A simple test for telling the difference between 18/0 and 18/10 stainless is that 18/10 is not magnetic and 18/0 is. So just use a magnet when shopping for stainless steel silverware. 18/8 stainless steel – if made correctly to specifications should also be non-magnetic.

April 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm
(4) Rance says:

18/0 is softer and more likely to tarnish. 18/10 has nickel in it that helps keep a shine and make the over all stainless steel formula harder.

July 30, 2012 at 6:04 am
(5) Ivy Tsai says:

Hi! I couldn’t see any details. It just stops at “Here are some answers to help you choose which flatware is best for you.” May I know why? I’ve signed up. Thank you!

July 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm
(6) housewares says:

For some reason the full blog and link is not showing on this page, sorry about that.
Here’s the article you need about flatware specs:
Understanding the Differences in Flatware Stainless Specs